Wednesday 13 January 2016

A Day with a TTOC

The routines in our classroom are very well established.  At this point in the year, I joke that I don't even need to show up and the children will get through the day, all things accomplished :-)

When a TTOC (Teacher Teaching on Call) visits the classroom, they are well equipped to guide the children through the day, just as I would.  Not only is there a day plan on my desk, but a binder is provided by the office detailing things like emergency procedures, bathroom routines, classroom routines, helpful teachers in the area, and a note written by me to help them get through the day.

One of the things I encourage in my note is for the TTOC to feel free to add their own flare to the day.  Mr. Young, for example, brought a guitar and sang some songs with the children - a skill I WISH I had.  I once had a TTOC teach the children some sign language (which became a lesson I carried on because it was such a hit), another a dance routine, and another some calming yoga poses.

For some children, it can be overwhelming to see a new face in the classroom in the morning.  This is particularly common in Kindergarten.  As the familiar adults to them, the best thing we can do is to reassure them that the day will carry on as it always does; and that adapting to a different personality in the room is a great opportunity for growth.  This is such a GREAT group of students that we have here and that makes all the difference in ensuring that the day with a TTOC runs as smoothly as possible.

I hope that this gives you all a picture of what a day with a TTOC is like.  Please let me know if you have any questions.  Thank you so much for all of your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment